The Adelaide International Classical Guitar Competition is the most prestigious guitar competition in the Southern Hemisphere and has provided career-launching opportunities for six incredible young guitarists: Jin-Hee Kim (South Korea) in 2010, Andrey Lebedev (Australia) in 2012, Bogdan Mihailescu (Romania) in 2014, Marko Topchii (Ukraine) in 2016, Miles Johnston (Australia) in 2018 and Andrew Blanch (Australia) in 2019.
Please note that due to the current COVID-19 health crisis the Adelaide International Classical Guitar Competition has been changed to an online format for this year. There will only be two rounds to the competition (Audition Round & Final Round), there are no entrance fees and no requirements to travel to Adelaide to participate in the final round in 2020.
- Repertoire Released – August 2019
- Audition Round Opens (online only) – 25 March 2020
- Audition Round Closes (online only) – 13 May 2020
- Audition Round Results Notification – 29 May 2020
- Final Round Submission Deadline – 29 July 2020
- Winner announced – 7 August 2020
- A Jim Redgate Guitar, valued at USD$16,000 (AUD$23000)
- An invitation to perform at the next Adelaide Guitar Festival (including all travel expenses)
FINALISTS FOR THE 2020 INTERNATIONAL CLASSICAL GUITAR COMPETITION
The audition round saw an unprecedented amount of entries from all over the world and we are proud to announce this year’s finalists who represent some of the finest young classical guitarists from both Australia and abroad. The stunning level of technique and musicianship on display is commendable and we thank all those who entered the competition for this year for their dedication and skill.
Thank you to our esteemed judges: Adam Del Monte (US), Vladimir Gorbach (Aus/Russia), Mak Grgic (Slovenia/US) & Dr Ken Murray (Aus).
The finalists will now progress to the final round where they will record and submit the following repertoire:
- Free Range – Ken Murray
- 15 minutes of Free Choice Repertoire (one piece composed before 1850 and one piece after 1850)